Friday, November 6, 2015

Shouting into the deep

I'm defying the shame I feel at the failure of this project. I'm defying it, and trying to decide what to do next. The things that led me to begin this project have found residence in my life once again. I still crave social interaction, but I'm pleased to keep that interaction shallow and fatuous. I often lack curiosity in my fellow human beings. That has left me truly ashamed.

A lot has happened since I last posted. Goes without saying given the dizzying gap in between. My oldest is in 2nd grade. I got the counseling job I wanted, and was subsequently let go. My wife's a librarian now. We bought a house. I'm being paid to perform and teach percussion. I'm the proud recipient of a brother-in-law, and two sisters-in-law. My dearest friends have experienced terrible loss and pain. We've walked through a series of tragedies on a level I couldn't have imagined 5 years ago. 5 YEARS AGO! Five... years... ago...

I don't know where to go from here, but I know one thing: while this project was going, it was helpful. It was challenging, and helpful, and good. ('that's three things, chimp-boy.' 'SILENCE, HEAD VOICE!') I'm going to continue the ridiculously-named salutation project, though I don't know how at the moment. Stay tuned, if you can forgive my prolonged absence. Stay tuned. I'm going to spend the next couple of days working out how to make this thing functional. Wish me luck!

2 comments: