Sunday, September 26, 2010

Days 42 and 43... smeg.

I'd love to say that I didn't write yesterday because of some super-legitimate, understandably understandable reason. I can't. I sat down to write last night and got stuck in a self-imposed Red Dwarf marathon. I'm not sad about the Red Dwarf, but I'm sorry I left you guys hanging. I did meet someone yesterday and today, so I'll just report on them both here.

Yesterday I met Phyllis. She volunteers for a homeless day shelter. I was surprised to hear where the shelter's located, because it's in a very wealthy county. I'm not stupid enough to consider that there can't be homeless people amongst wealth. What I've witnessed in regards to homeless care, though, is that it normally only happens as a result of a massive occurrence of homelessness. I couldn't imagine that situation in such a wealthy county. I was wrong. She told me that in June they helped 250 different people at the shelter, and that number has grown since. I was floored. I'm still a bit shocked. I know that 250 isn't a huge number relatively speaking, but I'm not considering relative terms. I'm thinking about more than 250 people who have nowhere to sleep tonight. I don't even know how to process that. Once I find a way to process that information, I'll need to exponentially raise the number to consider how many people are homeless just in my state... my God. How do we even begin.

Ok. Ok. I need a pick me up. How about a 9 year old talking about his favorite football team? Sound good? Great. Let's go, Matteo. You're up.

Matteo came to our church today with his mom. I said he's 9, but as he informed me, he's practically 10. He's basically an old fart. He told me about his school and his teacher and his friends. He likes the Ravens which is cool... None of which is distracting me from the conversation I had with Phyllis. Maybe that's a good thing, though. Maybe I should stop typing and think about this for a bit. I'll let you know what I come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment